I have always loved split pea soup. Up until recently, I’ve only eaten canned split pea soup. I was under the impression that to make homemade split pea soup, I’d have to soak the split peas overnight before cooking. I was wrong! With the slow cooker split pea soup recipe I am sharing today, you simply just cook the peas in hot water with spices and veggies for a few hours. It turns out that with a slow cooker, it’s quite easy to make home-cooked split pea soup!
Slow Cooker Split Pea Recipe
This recipe couldn’t be easier! I just added some dry split peas, chopped carrots, water and spices to my slower cooker and cooked it all on low for a few hours. That night, I had delicious split pea soup for my family.
16 ounces split peas
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 cups hot water
Onion powder (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)
Cumin (to taste)
Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
Top each bowl of pea soup with slices of cooked bacon if desired.
- Add ingredients to your slow cooker, starting with the peas, then the carrots, the garlic, etc. (In the order listed.)
- Add seasonings to taste. (I basically did 2-3 shakes of each spice over my ingredients.)
- Put the cover on your slow cooker and cook until the peas are soft. High: 4-5 hours or Low: 8-10 hours
- If you like, use an immersion blender to blend in some of the peas and carrots for a smoother soup. (Remove the garlic and bay leaf before blending.)
- When the soup is ready, remove the bay leaf and garlic before serving.
- If you like, garnish the soup with some strips of cooked bacon.
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups hot pepper
- Optional: cumin, hot pepper flakes and/or oregano flakes to taste
- Optional: Top each bowl of soup with strips of cooked bacon
- Add pea, chopped carrots, smashed garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper, hot water and seasonings of choice to stock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.
- If you like, use an immersion blender for a few seconds in your slow cooker pot to mix in/blend in some of the peas and carrots to make a thicker soup before serving.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with strips of cooked bacon if preferred.