Today I am joining my friends for the Taste Creations blog hop! I will be sharing an easy and delicious cheddar and green onion quick break recipe! This recipe requires no yeast or kneading, and is so delicious!
We get together the first of every month to bake recipes together using the same ingredient or theme. Today we will be sharing bread recipes!
Cheddar & Green Onion Quick Bread
I often make bread in my bread machine, but besides banana bread, I haven’t baked any bread traditionally in the oven.
So for this week’s blog hop, I decided to bake a quick bread. (Banana bread is also a quick bread.) I usually have cheese and scallions (also called green onion) in my refrigerator, so I made a loaf of cheddar and green onion quick bread.
A quick bread is a bread that you can bake without yeast – this recipe only requires baking powder. A big plus to quick breads is that you don’t need to wait for the dough to rise. You also don’t have to punch down or work the dough, like you would do with a traditional bread recipe.
With a quick dough, all you do is make the batter, pour it into a loaf pan, and bake!
A quick bread dough recipe literally takes hours less to make than a traditional bread dough recipe!
Quick breads are a real time saver and are just as delicious. (In fact, I am eating a slice of cheddar and green onion bread as I write this!)
I used the cheese bread recipe from Spend with Pennies. The recipe was so easy and quick to put together, and my family really like the bread. This is going to be something that I will make often for my family!
Cheddar and Green Onion Quick Bread Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ cup cold butter
1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
1 green onion well chopped
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
Cheddar and Green Onion Quick Bread Instructions
Making this bread couldn’t be easier! This is all you have to do:
1 – Whisk dry ingredients (per the recipe card below) together. Cut in the butter. (I used a fork and knife to cut it in. You need the butter to be in small crumb like pieces. I cut the butter into small pieces before adding to the dry ingredients and then cut it some more.)
2 – Add the eggs and milk and stir until well combined.
3 – Bake according to recipe card below, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup cold butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 green onion well chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 ½" x 4" loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the butter. Stir in both cheeses and the green onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the milk and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient mixture and stir until moistened. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.