This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Welcome to Tasty Tuesday! On Tuesdays I like to share some recipes that I’ve made and loved! Today I am sharing a simple recipe for skillet cornbread – this recipe cooks in the oven in a oven-safe skillet. I made this for the first time last week. My family loved it so much that I made it again the next day!
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
(Recipe from Damn Delicious)
I love cornbread, but for some reason, I only made it for the first time last month. Weird, huh? I just never knew how easy and delicious homemade cornbread is. For this recipe, you need a skillet that can be used in the oven. The skillet I used is my Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Skillet. I use the skillet for everything – from frying eggs, to making stir fry, and now, baking homemade cornbread.
I used the Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe from Damn Delicious. I made this cornbread one night when we were having vegetable soup for dinner. I cooked up some bacon on the side to either crumble on top of the cornbread or garnish the soup.
This cornbread recipe couldn’t be simpler. You basically preheat the oven, combine the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and then combine the wet and dry ingredients. So easy! The recipe only requires a few ingredients. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand (I didn’t, either), you can just add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to each cup of milk and let it sit a few minutes before using. (Visit Taste of Home for other buttermilk substitutes you can use.)
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups reduced fat buttermilk (or 2 cups milk mixed with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar)
1 large egg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
How to Bake Skillet Cornbread
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place an oven-proof 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven. (I used my Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Skillet.)
In a large Mixing Bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Remove skillet from the oven and add remaining 3 tablespoons until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
Working carefully, immediately scoop the batter into the hot skillet. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place an oven-proof, 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and 3 tablespoons butter. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a silicone
spatula just until moist.
4. Remove skillet from the oven and add remaining 3 tablespoons until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Working carefully, immediately scoop the batter into the hot skillet. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out
clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
6. Serve warm.