This post contains Amazon affiliate links, through which I may earn commissions for products purchased.
When my husband and I were dating, one thing we used to do together was get delicious just-cooked zeppoles on Fridays from a local pizza place. Zeppoles are an Italian treat made of fried balls of dough dusted with sugar.
I can remember eating the zeppoles warm straight out of the bag from the pizza place together. The zeppoles were only available on Fridays, so we headed to the local pizza place every Friday!
I had some leftover homemade pizza dough recently from one of my family’s pizza nights, so I decided to cook up some air fryer zeppoles for my family.
Zeppoles, or fried pizza dough balls, are quite easy to make if you have an air fryer! I made my air fryer zeppoles with the pizza dough I made in my bread maker, but these air fried treats can be made with pizza dough from the grocery store or from your local pizzeria.
Air Fryer Zeppole Recipe
1 large ball homemade pizza dough or 1 package prepared pizza dough
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon melted butter
I used the recipe that I use to make pizza dough in my bread maker to make my pizza dough. (I have a 2 lb bread maker bread maker.)
Air Fryer Zeppole Instructions
Roll pizza dough into small balls. (The balls should be about the size of a red potato.)
Grease the bottom of your air fryer pan. (I rub mine with a stick of butter.) Put the pizza dough balls into your air fryer pan in a single layer. You might have to air fry the dough balls in two batches.
Air fry the pizza dough balls at 340 degrees F for 3 minutes. Check to see if they are cooked through. If not, cook the balls of dough another 3 minutes. (I air fried mine for about 6 minutes.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a bowl in your microwave. (In my microwave, it took about 20 seconds to melt the butter.)
Use a pastry brush to brush the fried zeppole (or pizza dough balls) with butter. Dust the dough balls with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- 1 large ball homemade pizza dough or 1 package prepared pizza dough
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Roll pizza dough into small balls, about the size of a small red potato.
- Grease the bottom of the air fryer pan. (I rub a small amount of butter on mine.)
- Place a single layer of pizza dough balls into the pan of your air fryer.
- Air fry the balls of dough at 340 degrees F for 3 minutes. Check to see if the balls of dough are cooked through. If not, shake the air fryer pan and air fry the dough balls 3 additional minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a bowl in the microwave. Brush the air fried balls of dough with the melted butter.
- Dust the dough balls with powdered sugar.